8.23.2013

Gone Editin'

It's funny how writing can be so time consuming, so tiring even when it's fun. The hours / weeks / months spent on a new story, a new project, can be a bit overwhelming at times, but then you end up with a book, and that's a form of magic, I suppose.

Eren is a complex story, a story about stories, and what they mean. It's set in a town, and it's about a boy - Oli - but it's also partly my attempt to understand what myths and tales are. It's not an easy question, that.

I spent some time today on the phone to my editor in London (I have one now. Flippin' heck) talking about her view of Eren, what the book is, what it needs to be, and what work might need still to be done; in her words, what needs 'teasing out'. It was a good phone call, a strange mixture of nervousness and happiness that she got Eren so much. We spoke about things like covers and illustrations and other oh-my-goodness-this-is-real things that seem, even now, distant and hard to imagine.

I'm going to be diving back into Eren now, working on the story so it matches Sarah and my vision of what the final book should be. That means a lot of writing, of course - and less time spent here. For now, I'm going to be putting off writing more blog posts. It is not a termination, at all. It's a hiatus, or possibly just a gentle application of the brakes. I need to focus on Eren, more than other things. I want the book to be as good as it can be, and as near to finished as a book ever gets.

I cannot wait for you guys to see what we make, though. I think it'll be something special.

I'll still be around on twitter- @araenvo - and a few other places, mind. Can't get rid of me that easily.

I think this is going to be good.

SPC
Much-in-Little, soon to be Eren's home

No comments:

Post a Comment