3.27.2013

Book Deal News!

Very excited to be able to share this with you all - it's been all hush hush and keeping mum for a bit - but EREN has sold to Constable & Robinson as part of a two book deal.
YEAH.

The news came at a time when I was getting despondent, for the first time, really, about my writing, and I could NOT be happier. My agent has been a complete star through all of this and I owe her a drink when we next meet. The editor at C&R, Sarah Castleton, said lovely things about EREN and it's clear that she really, really gets the book - which is exactly what I needed.

C&R are a fantastic publisher. Way back in the day they published Dracula. Fast forward to today and they publish wonderful books like The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, and A Visit from the Goon Squad.

Being able to build a home there and write more books is, of course, a dream come true, and the whole point of this blog was to encourage me to get out there more.

So, to readers, writers on Twitter and elsewhere, and everyone else who helped me over the years (and put up with me), a big thank you. I will keep you up to date as more news comes through about EREN and, y'know, the fact it's gonna be FREAKING PUBLISHED.

The official Publishers Marketplace announcement:

Simon Clark's EREN, in which a 12-year-old is whisked away to his uncle's country house in the wake of a scandal involving his father, and encounters a captivating creature in the attic whose attention comes at a sinister price, to Sarah Castleton at Constable & Robinson, in a a two-book deal, for publication in Fall 2014, by Molly Ker Hawn at The Bent Agency (World).

I'll write up a longer post some time next week on the path from querying agents to inking the deal. For now, it's celebration time. Boom, baby.


11 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD! CONGRATULATIONS, SIMON! I AM SO EXCITED I MIGHT COLLAPSE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so exciting! Congrats times a bazillion! Stewie the Octopus Mug has graduated in status to that of Lucky Mug. We shall toast to your success over morning coffee. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Stewie's doing well! I'm actually drinking coffee from my own MugFest Mug RIGHT NOW. Woah...

      Delete
  3. I'm going to join int he excited capitalisation: CONGRATULATIONS! THAT'S AMAZING!!!! (Yup I used more than one exclamation mark).

    That's fantastic news and very encouraging. I was just telling somebody yesterday it worries me that of the people I know who got an agent before I did none of them have a publishing deal yet (my book was sent out to publishers a few weeks ago). YAY! GO SIMON!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it turns out the process can take a lot longer than I'd thought, and still be thought of as pretty standard. Who knew? I guess a few weeks or a year can both end with the same great news

      Delete
  4. Smashing news! Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Wonderful news and such an incredible feeling to have. It's so great when hard work pays off. Congrats from a fellow NJ writer!

    ReplyDelete